Michigan Women’s Rugby Club
Our club aims to provide everyone a chance to learn the sport of rugby. We compete in the Division I Big Ten East league at the highest level of collegiate rugby. We have a dedicated coaching staff who teach us the skills necessary to be the best team on the field.
The University of Michigan Women’s Rugby Football Club aims to become an elite rugby program in the Midwest and a premier club sport within Michigan. We will provide all committed and hard-working teammates the opportunity to grow as rugby players, athletes and individuals. We are devoted to building a competitive team and program focused on athletics, teamwork, dedication and camaraderie.
- 2012 Midwest LAU Tier I Champions (as the State of Michigan)
- 2011 Midwest 3rd place
- 2011 USA Rugby DI Sweet 16
- 2010 DI Midwest Champions
- 2009, 2010 DI Midwest Eastern Conference Champions
- Ranked No. 8 in DI by RugbyMag.com (Oct. 05, 2011)
Some Current Team Stats
- Average GPA: 3.2
- 60% of the current team has at least one part-time job.
- Majors and minors: Architecture, Spanish, Medieval and Early Modern Studies, Sociology, Political Science, International Studies, French, Movement Science, Russian, Economics, International Relations, Women’s Studies, Psychology, Mechanical Engineering, Honors Classical Archaeology, Scandinavian, Applied Statistics, Communications, Screen Arts and Culture, Anthropology, Biology, Health Behavior/Health Education, BCN (Biopsychology, Cognition, Neuroscience), Microbiology
- Extracurricular and extrarugby activities: DMUM, Camp Kesem, Spanish Club, Medically Around the World, Club Sports Council, ALMA, Lamda Theta Alpha, For Your Intillect, Michigan Political Union, DoRAK, Synchronized Swimming, Freedom House, IGR, Coalition for Queer People of Color, New Life Church, Students for Mental Health, Eta Sigma Phi, Factio, Archaeology Club, Fencing, Relay for Life, Society of Women Engineers, Kgrams, Detroit Partnership, Muslim Student Association, Snowboarding Club, Irish Club, MESO, InnoWorks, and numerous Intramural Sports.
What is Rugby?
Rugby is a full contact sport, played in two 40-minute halves that incorporates the finesse and speed of soccer, the strength and tackling of football, and the quick ball-handling of basketball. It is a game of strategy, teamwork, and pride.
Rugby is a competitive team sport that anyone can play. There are 15 players on the field and a position for women of all body types. Don’t worry if you have never played before, we will teach you everything you need to know. No experience necessary!
How To Join
The best way to join is to start coming to practices. It is never too late to join, since we are always accepting new players! Please email email@example.com for more information.